Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What a day.

You may have been wondering what exactly happened yesterday. I'll explain it here.

I went to bed late after doing the 1v1 tourney, I was woken up soon after with word that Inventories weren't loading. I woke up, checked it out, the database server was stuck in an infinite loop of starting up and shutting down. A scheduled update went sideways according to the host.

Anyways, that wasn't a problem because I was able to access it and dump the database files off of it using a separate boot drive. Plus even if I couldn't FRG's databases are backed up daily automatically offsite. So I wasn't too worried about that. I decided to wipe the entire machine after getting the database files off of it, and re set it up from scratch, then re-upload the database files to it. That was going smoothly, however, while in the middle of this, my personal HDD shot up to 100% disk usage when I tried to open a folder. It froze windows, eventually freezing everything leading me to shut it off manually.

After I did that, it would not reboot. I took the HDD out and it booted up fine. I then tried to put the drive in grass' pc, and went thru a bunch of bullshit to get that to work. It showed up in windows/bios, but I couldn't browse it. It would slow her pc way the fuck down trying to access it. So I decided to take it out and potentially try getting into it some other day with linux.

I have a network accessed storage device I purchased with 2 4TB HDD's setup with a RAID 1 setup. I did this a few months ago when I noticed my HDD acting up. The problem was I focused almost purely on backing up all of my gmod work, I didn't really think about my personal files as much so I missed a decent chunk of those. The last time I backed up my gmod stuff was the 10th at 5 AM, so I only lost a day and half's worth of work on tribulation.  I can live with that. The problem is, I lost a lot of my personal files and projects outside of gmod. Webserver stuff, side projects, source for the FRG launcher, other tools I've built, etc.

Ontop of that, a really really dumb user error on my end made me lose the master passwords to the admin/root accounts to all of our servers. I saved them in an encrypted file, but like a dumbass I named it something generic, not realizing I had another file named the same thing in a different directory from well before this file. So.. when I originally backed up 'important files' I backed up the wrong fucking password file.

I still had access to the servers because I had the passwords saved and encrypted in windows credential manager, but there wasn't any up to date methods to obtain those. But since I still had access under the admin/root accounts, I managed to resolve it in the end. Dodged a bullet there.

All of this running on ~ 2 hours of sleep. I had a massive migraine, and probably lost years of my life due to the stress levels alone.  

I'm happy to say everything is running smoothly now, I have a new HDD in place and I'm in the middle of transferring all my gmod files back to it.  For now, and as much as I can tell, the only thing I lost of immediate importance is the tedious work I did on trib during the 10th. Which was basically the final thing I needed to do before the last big test. I'll be redoing it all tonight once I get everything setup again. I will also be issuing a goodie bag for the downtime. Thank you all for your patience, especially with how long Tribulation has been taking.

:thumbsup: Mr.Stressman would like to know your location
Find

bro my pc just restarted for no reason today
Find

(06-12-2021, 06:04 PM)Seally Energy Wrote:  bro my pc just restarted for no reason today

It's because of the sweat dripping off your arms off your desk into your computer

Find

Buying Mutable Glock
Find

Get some rest bro, damn. "probably lost years of my life due to the stress levels alone." AND " I'll be redoing it all tonight once I get everything setup again." should not be in the same post.

We as a community, other than Mousey, have NO issues waiting an extra day if it means you don't have a heart attack.

Sounds exhausting jeez. Take a couple days to urself and get some sleep. Trib can wait another week.
Find

Please take rests and breaks, I wouldn't want this stress getting you sick. I'm sure we care more about your safety than trib.
Find

I've only played on the server for a short while but I can tell the time you put into the server. Stuff like this happening is extremely unfortunate but understandable so I dont think any of us would hold it against you. I'm sorry to hear that a lot of the personal work was lost. If you do need some breaks occasionally I believe we would all understand. I think some of us would even learn some coding to try and assist you in your work if that would ever help.

keep your head up gamer. your diamond helmet is falling!
Find