Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dev blog #1 (March 2017)

So I've had this update in the works right after the recent 'big' update was released on 2/11. My mindset is to have more interesting things to draw players in, as well as help keep newer players here by giving them a fighting chance.

So in the next update I plan on helping this with a few things:
  • Enhanceable Starter weapons. New Starter weapons will be added and become enhanceable, all current ones will stay the same, however they will also automatically have a random suffix on them.
    They will be able to be enhanced to be fairly good, but players will not be able to use them after a certain level. I'm thinking around level 10 or so. This should allow them to be able to compete with most weapons while building up coins and what not so that they could afford their own by the time they can't use their starter anymore.
  • Giving one of each weapon type to the player, this not only allows them to play with what weapon they want, but also gives them a goal to level multiple to the max if possible.
  • Better post-round drops. I will be making ALL post-round drops more common, and happen a lot more frequently. You should be seeing rares and what not fairly often post-round. I don't see this hurting anything as most of these are key'd, but this would also help new players get some decent loot.
  • Free untradeable Rune of Power at level 2.

Followed by those changes I am introducing some fairly big gameplay changes to help balance our TTT aspect.

Basically guns with stats don't entirely fit into TTT well, to help counter that I am making powerful weapons HARDER to use.

Starting with this next update there will be:
  • Jumping inaccuracy. Currently this can be set per weapon, but it defaults at -50% accuracy.
  • Inaccuracy that builds up the more you shoot in a row (for fully automatic weapons). This helps discourage full on spraying.
  • More severe and noticeable recoil based on the damage/firerate stats of the weapon.

I'm hoping this will help make things more fun and enjoyable, however, last time I tested things like these out people didn't like them so much. So I guess we will see!

On top of those balancing changes I have made some changes to crates so you should almost never, if ever, land next to a godlike. Sometimes you may see some in there, but it should rarely ever land next to it. I've also re-organized a lot of the crates and made making changes to them easier from here on out.

While messing around with some effects, I managed to create a low cost fake Depth-of-field for weapons. I don't know if you guys would like to see this, but it couldn't hurt to have it as a setting:

That's a rather low quality gif, for a higher quality version check :

Pretty interesting effect, it really helps you focus on what you're aiming at.

I'll go ahead and just list some more things coming in the next update (these are finished or mostly finished):
  • Tobais' Crosshair Customization system.
  • Enhanceable Crate II
  • Headshot kills with weapons that have high headshot multipliers will explode heads.
  • Damage indicators now have a bigger brighter number for headshots.
  • Tobias made smoke grenades better. You can no longer see names through them.
    (no beaver damagelogs yet ;,( )

Now that you have a little taste of what is to come for the TTT server. I have a big project to announce:

(working Title/logo)

This is a brand new RPG-like gamemode for GMOD I'm developing.

In the Realm, you can team up with friends, create a party, or just do your own thing. You traverse through the world slaying monsters and other various mobs for XP and Loot. Each mob containing possible unique drops.

As well as having mobs, each mob death will have a chance to spawn a World Boss variant for that zone.

These bosses will be tough and you will likely not be able to solo it! If all players die in the radius of it or players leave the aggro range for too long, its HP will reset!

They will award good XP and good loot, with the chance for a piece of a 'set'. Each boss having their own sets of items you can hunt down.

As you see though, there's no REAL objective other than to kill stuff and hang out with friends/hunt loot, so ontop of this I plan to have an NPC on the lobby that can give you 'quests' for the Realm. That is, kill x amount of y(similar to runescape's Slayer skill), in exchange for something I haven't quite figured out yet. Not sure if I want to do straight rewards, or some kind of XP, or fragments.

Oh yeah, and each Realm server will support possible up to 40 players, and have no level requirement to join. It's a new way to progress through FRG.

So that's what I have in the works currently! I have no ETA on any of these as I still have a lot I need to do, but I'll let you guys know when I have a general idea!

With these dev blogs, I've decided to be more transparent with the community on what I'm working on, I'm not sure if you guys like this approach but I'm willing to try it out for awhile at least. Let me know what you think!

Nice work Brass. I actually really like the depth-of-field effect. I always did like that in some other shooter games.
Find

I like the thought given to new players, it sort of makes me want to start over on an alt and see how it goes.

I'm a bit torn on the inaccuracy and recoil changes, but I'm sure we'll test it thoroughly and give feedback if needed.

No more landing next to godlikes?? You know that April 1st is coming up what are you going to do to us then if not the godlike troll?

But damn I am really looking forward to the new game mode, I feel like everyone's going to have an amazing time on there.
Find

/cough Player model in coinshop able to click it and make it bigger to get a better idea of what it looks like before buying /cough
Find

Is there going to be a beta for Forerunnergaming Realm like there is for Voslom?
Find

(03-02-2017, 03:53 PM)Halaman10 Wrote:  Is there going to be a beta for Forerunnergaming Realm like there is for Voslom?

Yeah. There will most definitely be a beta.

(03-02-2017, 03:52 PM)Mary Wrote:  /cough Player model in coinshop able to click it and make it bigger to get a better idea of what it looks like before buying /cough

Find

It'd be fun if people couldn't just rely on M1 (Not the gun!) to mow people down. Extremely interested in your side dev project, but I'll miss Voslom. It is good to see you branching out and expanding past Garry's Mod, which I Don't think will last forever as a game to garner interest in people. P.S: Depth of Field/Bloom/Motion blur in video games give me nausea and headaches, anybody else?
Find

(03-02-2017, 04:14 PM)Terran Wrote:  It'd be fun if people couldn't just rely on M1 (Not the gun!) to mow people down. Extremely interested in your side dev project, but I'll miss Voslom. It is good to see you branching out and expanding past Garry's Mod, which I Don't think will last forever as a game to garner interest in people. P.S: Depth of Field/Bloom/Motion blur in video games give me nausea and headaches, anybody else?

I've actually been working on voslom too. It's not dead.

I've been working on combat still

Little teaser, added more impact responses. That teaser is a bit outdated as I've refined it even more.

You can see more stuff on my WAYWO post here:
https://facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1550856&p=51873455#post51873455

Not sure if you realized though that side project is a gamemode for GMOD, not a standalone. Voslom is still the only standalone I'm working on.
Find

Oh, that's a part of Gmod? Dang, slightly less interested, but also slightly more. How will it work? Are you going to implement the bows and melees you have currently, and add more variety? That'd be pretty cool.
Find

As long as the depth-of-field is optional I don't mind. The blur just kinda gets in the way in my opinion. Plus my eyes sometimes go different places when ADS. Other than that, sounds like some good stuff!
Find