Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Grims event updating

So Grim's lab has been around for a long time now, with many new events brought to frg.

It has been forgotten and left to decay while new drops are added to it. You still get stuck in npcs (either make a small bubble around them so we dont collide with their model or something)
I never see any of the minibosses healthbars ever, only morgoths and even then it wont render at long distance in his cave. (always render pls)
Loot should be updated to the orb system, or chests should be updated for more than just 33 coin drops.

We shouldnt just be making grims relevant by making quests to revisit it. There should be intensive to go without the quest there. (yes people say db/page, but thats IF you are lucky. thats like saying you could get superpowers if you get hit by lightning. It is not enough to make me want to do it.)

If i forgot anything to touch up upon, would someone mind posting about it? I just feel like grims was given up on after its initial bug fixes, too much has changed on frg to not update grims atleast once more.
"Closest thing I have had to alcohol is chocolate milk... Don't quote me on that!"
"Please somebody use this as a signature to remember this day."-Catbug
Find

The mini bosses purposely don't have health bars.

Getting stuck in rats/deathclaws is almost unavoidable due to the npc base*.

And adding orb drops to Grims has been suggested so many times.
Find

I remember the tank boss used to have a hp bar, have not seen it in a year or more.
And as i said, there are ways to make them not stick into people. (difference in ai, make them slow down before ramming into you, or give them a player collision bubble)
"Closest thing I have had to alcohol is chocolate milk... Don't quote me on that!"
Find

(08-17-2017, 07:30 PM)Bathory Wrote:  I remember the tank boss used to have a hp bar, have not seen it in a year or more.
And as i said, there are ways to make them not stick into people. (difference in ai, make them slow down before ramming into you, or give them a player collision bubble)

The tanks health bar was removed a year ago, to match the pillar bosses.

As for the rats/deathclaws, I'm 99% sure you've never made an NPC in Garry's Mod. So unless you have, and you know how to not make them get stuck in people, I recommend not talking like you do. There is a lot more involved than just "slowing them down" or "adding a player collision bubble". Obviously if there was an easy way to fix it, it would have been done already.
Find

You are right i have never done it but I have done video game design. I understand its not a simple "the wall is blue so it has to be blue" moment.

There is always work arounds to almost everything. You clearly have just not applied yourself enough on how.
Shit if we really had to, remove the collision itself with players.

Edit: To your 'if it was easy' statement, how much effort is even put into thinking about fixing those bugs from grims?

example of options i literally thought of within 3minutes

Make it so if you are and a npc are sharing the same collision, just tp you a little to the side which is more exposed (providing no objects were detected there)
Create collision bubble around npcs
Turn it to debris collisions
Find model replacement that work without a major flaw?

Orbs should definitely be added. Its sad that you could do survive and not even make it to the first boss, yet still come out with more loot than the event. With the new pages and keys people have reason to do the event again, but unless you're shooting for a key I believe most dont consider it worth the time. Last time I did morgoth we won and I came out with bairly 400 coins. When the chests were made they were designed for cotd to be the best drop, with them removed you're lucky to get 2 item crates from them. The economy has severely changed since those days, and its sad to see a 5 minute boss fight with a 4 hour cooldown give better loot than an actual event run. +100

Zombie has a major point with the bw fight being a 2minute fight with better drops on average.
It isnt just some "MORE LOOT PLS" we just want to see grims viable.
Fix some bugs it has, by either reworking the npc's or whatever else you have to do. Shit brass, make tobias fix it if you dont want to.
I have a hard time believing there is absolutely 0 things that could be done about npc collisions, else realms is doomed for failure.
Find

Well.. Coding in GMOD is just modding a very old source engine with preset 'exposed' functions garry gives us. Some having very little documentation, or just plain don't work. Having 'experience in video game design' does nothing here, because this is MODDING. Not creating a video game, we just don't have access to all of the proper solutions, trust me, if we did tons of things would be fixed. I have 10 years experience creating games, sometimes trade-offs have to happen. Somethings when you're modding a game that has limitations just can't be perfect.

I would love to completely fix it, without the side effects, but I have applied myself plenty on attempting to combat this problem, to no avail (I even posted on facepunch about it ages ago, to see if anyone else has the issue).

However, now we do have a little more access to NextBot functions, but its still VERY limited. So I might be able to mess around with some of them.

Your know-it-all attitude it quite annoying. You like to act like you know best, but you have absolutely nothing to show for all of your super wise 'knowledge and experience'.

For example, let me pick apart your 'suggested fixes':
  • Make it so if you are and a npc are sharing the same collision, just tp you a little to the side which is more exposed (providing no objects were detected there)
    What if you're surrounded by npcs? It's not a good solution, and it's something I've thought of before.
  • Create collision bubble around npcs
    Not a thing in GMOD Nextbots. They do not have Vphysics, you can only do 'boxes*'. But too big and they get stuck in everything else. Their boxes are quite big, but it's just how GMOD handles player2nextbot collisions with set SolidMask.
  • Turn it to debris collisions
    That could fix it, but we tried that already. It made it 10000x easier, and allows players to 'rubber band' kite enemies (run through them nonstop), it also had an instance where you'd get instantly killed running into a mob of them.
  • Find model replacement that work without a major flaw?
    Easier said than done. There's no good model replacements. I've looked, and unless you want to get a model, animate it(all animations that is), compile it, adjust it, setup its hitboxes, etc. Then it's not an option.

This is not a problem on something like Realms, because there's not 100 enemies chasing you through a small corridor.

I get you had the right intentions with the post, and just wanted to help. But acting like you know a thing or two about the process, after someone says it's not that easy, is not the way to do it.

I just dont agree with how tobi was responding, "NO IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN STFU" is all i pulled out of what he said. I love the idea of the event but it has been bug riddled since the start and that i want to change so more players willingly want to do grims, not just those select few who want a db/key/page.

I get it i might come across as a know it all, but thats because I am trying to find a solution to a problem that has yet to be solved. (AS you are not very transparent with what you try to do on your own for fixes, im flying blind with suggestions due to my limited coding experience for lua/bots)

Have you tried changing the collision hull to that of a headcrab? (something similar sized)

I get it im not a coder, not a developer here. But i can still have the need to want to see it fixed. Is that such a terranable thing to want? (be serious, when was the last time you gave grims a content fix, not just a tweaking of chest spawns to prevent farming)

Quote:TJ1524: We're uh, not doing so well in the beginning
Bathory: rip
TJ1524: 3/6 got stuck on rats on the wave of the tank
Find

(08-17-2017, 08:33 PM)Bathory Wrote:  I just dont agree with how tobi was responding, "NO IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN STFU" is all i pulled out of what he said. I love the idea of the event but it has been bug riddled since the start and that i want to change so more players willingly want to do grims, not just those select few who want a db/key/page.

I get it i might come across as a know it all, but thats because I am trying to find a solution to a problem that has yet to be solved.

Have you tried changing the collision hull to that of a headcrab? (something similar sized)

Yea actually.(well actually they used to be 1x1x1) That used to work just fine, but last year sometime they updated it so any hitboxes outside of the collision hull do not register shots. Soooooooo RIP that fix.
Find