Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TTT Map List Rework

I don't know if this thread should be on suggestions or complaints, help
FRG with its' intricate custom weapon system and progression managed to make TTT fresh for me and worth coming back to outside of just wanting to have some fun with the peeps. however, the way TTT is built is that the quality of the gameplay is very dependant on the maps being played, and some of the maps on the FRG rotation make ttt_minecraft 24/7 servers look like masterpieces. point is, a rework of the map list would make TTT more enjoyable for most people in general, as I'm not the only one having trouble with some of the terrible maps. due to RTV not being a thing, people just seek to end rounds as fast as possible to be able to change the map.
I made two lists of maps, one list being of unplayable joykillers that should be removed ASAP, other list having maps that are playable, but are not enjoyable to play in due to map design flaws and thus should be taken into consideration whenever they should be removed or not. I don't expect people to be on board with some of my picks (frg_swanpark_ttt_final and ttt_slender_v2 in particular), but hey, I might change a few minds
also keep in mind that this list only has the maps that I've got to play on, as the entire FRG map list is not publicly available as far as I'm aware

Downright bad:
frg_swanpark_ttt_final - Too open, and for that reason most rounds are 'How many chal/daily kills can you get as fast in before dying as a T'. Ugly as it lacks detail and suffers from stretchy textures
ntg_scrubs - Too open, nearly non-existant verticality, impossible for Ts to not get spotted
ttt_cluedo_b5 - No weapons or ammo outside of deagles. Hallways, which make the majority of the map, are too claustrophobic and connected for TTT, which means that once a T opens fire, 99.99% that there'll be an inno to witness it soon after
ttt_krusty_krab - Too open, non-existent verticality, downright impossible for Ts to act without getting spotted. By far the worst map from a gameplay perspective
ttt_ntgrooftops - Made redundant by ttt_ntg_rooftops_remake, which is superior than the original in about every way. Way more detailed, the previously too horizontal and open areas now have cover and etc.
ttt_starfish_island_v1_2 - Too open, too big, too horizontal. Just terrible
ttt_suburb_beta15a - Too big, too open, too horizontal, only one enterable building and the entrance door on it doesn't even work
ttt_urban_ruins_v1 - Pretty, but way too open and the indoors are way too small for Ts to be able to act discreetly, as most innos tend to stick around on the roofs as there is nowhere much else to go

Questionable:
de_haunts - made as a de map, yet it's bad even as a de map. Unnecessarily confusing maze like structure, and it is never fun to be walking around aimlessly being lost, trust me on that.
mcdonalds-mds - Too small and very little verticality for higher playercounts
ttt_albatross_fix - The top and bottom parts of the map are connected by prop elevators, which are VERY prone in killing players if there are other props either on the elevator or on the bottom of the elevator. If a T and an inno are in lategame and in seperate parts of the map, the round turns into 'who's the bravest one to go into the death elevator?' as there are no other ways to reach each other unless the T either has the creds to spare for a Grapple or has a teleport set beforehand
ttt_clocktown_v1_fix - (Not sure if it's just for me or) Lacks skybox, missing models
ttt_cruise - Most of the innos hang around at the front of the ship, which is way too open for Ts to act on. The gameplay is fine in the other areas, but they are pretty rarely being frequented by innos
ttt_earth_2074_v4 - Too flat and open except for the rocky island, the caves and inside the labs. Very amateurish detail. It's still playable for Ts, but it's not ideal or that fun either
ttt_giant_daycare_v2 - While it being open is par for the course for rats maps, it lacks the verticality and clutter to use as cover of other, better made rats maps. Fine for small player count matches, but otherwise it becomes a murderfest
ttt_gunkanjima_v2 - Too much fog, maze-like structure with no landmarks to orient people.
ttt_lazertag - Even more fog than gunkanjima, even more of an unrecognizable maze than gunkanjima, although you can see the center of the map to help orient yourself
ttt_luxework_b3 - Your choice is either too claustrophobic, or too open. Lacking detail.
ttt_riverside_b3 - Too much fog, most of the map is just a forest, meaning most of the time you're just aimlessly wandering around. The only recognizable landmark is an enterable house, and it's where most people tend to stick around for that reason
ttt_slender_v2 - A huge maze where everything looks the same, outside of the hallway with very streched double doors
ttt_stargate_v3 - No weapons or ammo outside of M16s. Terrible for player bosses. Passable for regular TTT though
ttt_sunday_street_b2fix - Somewhat kinda too open, most of the action revolves around the tower for that reason. Lacks polish. Also has the exploit that allows you to go under the map
ttt_trappycottage_b2 - Most of the map revolves around mazy tunnels that look the same, has nearly no landmark 'rooms' meaning it's easy to get lost
Find

We needed a thread like this.
Find

Yeah although I don't agree with a few nominations a look into the pool of maps is a good idea +1
Find

i think giant daycare should be removed and replaced with toy soldiers
Find

I have an application up to let me handle maps. Everyone go +1

This is much needed btw. nice work.
Find

Some of the maps that you listed will most likely stay because they're challenge maps, unless Tobias or Brass wants to change the clues and map location for the item to collect
I'm gonna give my 2 cents about the maps you listed, green being keep, yellow on the fence of either keeping and removing, and red being remove it.

(If I didnt edit your opinion about the map, it's because I agree with it)

If you want to download all the maps, you can go into my Troubleshooting + Downloads thread and grab them.
Find

I like most of the maps (aside from lets say krusty krab) in the right scenario, but many of the times this is dependant on players or whatnot so maybe make some maps not appear in mapvote if less than 10 players (ex construct).
Find

idk, I like having different approaches. If every map is just huge and has a lot of spots for Ts to hide in, it makes it extremely boring as an innocent to just wait until you get shot. Smaller maps like McDonalds are great for low player counts. Just don't vote for it if there's too many people on. The only map I really dislike from that list is krustykrab, that shit sucks worse than flatgrass.
Find

A lot of the maps you listed are addressed on my newly made thread. Go take a look. https://forerunnergaming.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=8324
Find