Hi there Guest,  
Sign in here: Login through Steam

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Shared Inventory System

The basic idea of the system is to allowed players in a small group who wish to share an inventory a means of doing so more easily than which currently exists. My idea for this is by adding a guild-like system where players form a shared inventory by forming a group (of which you could only be a part of one) and this is handled by use of a new lobby NPC. This NPC would act as the caretaker of a guild chest per-say. To limit the concerns of people with the issues of duping, etc I feel like this NPC should only be able to be accessed by 1 person of said group at a time. Now the chest would not be an entire merge of an inventory, the purpose of this chest would act like a backpack or small storage that multiple people could use and drop in or remove items from. This chest should only be able to be accessed from said lobby NPC.

As far as security goes, I feel like you should have to use this chest caretaker NPC to join a shared inventory with someone. As to not risk a random person joining an inventory with someone they don't know this should be done at the NPC when all shared inventory members are in lobby together to approve said person joining. I feel like groups of 4 at most should be allowed but this measure would also prevent someone joining that someone else in said shared inventory didn't know about. Now the other aspect of this, I feel that those who choose to use this system should do so accepting the risks that come with this and ONLY form a shared inventory with someone they trust. I'm sure that Brass if he would even consider this idea doesn't want to handle people with stolen item reports because of this.  

I'm open to whatever thoughts and or criticisms people may have on this because I feel like it could be a cool system unique to FRG.
Find

+1, i inv share, it would make it much more convenient. i think its actually a really interesting facet of the server and the only downside i can imagine is the dev time required for it.
Find

I'd add a level requirement of like level 50, just for that extra layer of security. I like the idea but I feel like Brass has said he's not keen on the idea before.

At the very least, it would be nice to be able to give items to people even if they're not on, like if there was a mailbox npc of a sort, where you go to them and choose a person to send an item to, and that person can go receive the item whenever they come online.
Find

If you leave a guild you should have a week+ cooldown from joining another one.
#PreventOOGT

+1 Guilds sound super cool, i just think its going to be very problematic in terms of two major things

1. Moderation and ownership of items - In the event of a guild split who retains which items because these "guilds" will likely be made up of significantly less people maybe 2-4 its unreasonable to say the items stay with whoever is in "charge", i feel like the introduction of this feature would create an influx of inventory sharing that would result in the FRG version of messy divorces with 2 unhappy parties.

2. Item ID problems - We just recently had an issue of items like coins disappearing due to item ID's, my only concern is how problematic these item ID's get when you introduce a joint inventory like this would be(brass or others would obviously know significantly more on this topic than I).

Overall its a very attractive idea and im in full support of this as long as brass believes he can reasonably navigate these two obstacles, the first of which i think will be very difficult and would require a lot of thinking.
Find

I personally would LOVE some additional support systems for us inventory sharers. However I do see several potential issues with a system such as this one, especially the #1 and #2 that Divine brought up. Therefore I personally am not all too interested in the guild system in itself. While it would be awesome I can see it being problematic in the future. How about something simpler yet very handy such as a gifting system? You are able to select a player based off of their STEAMID and then give them items that they receive when available to. It would make trading between inv sharers a lot more handy since you can just tell your partner "hey toss me this ASAP" and they could do it without needing to change server nor both players needing to be on at the same time. Thoughts?
Find

I like the idea of this system and obviously the person who is getting the item from the NPC shouldn't be able to trade or sell the item I think a pretty simple solution to the item id and stuff could be just giving the item a trait that basically just says its a shared item and that it cant be given away or traded as well as when they leave the guild it would just remove all items that are shared and give them back to the NPC for the original owner to come back and get, I'm not sure how easy it would be to add and remove traits like that but I think doing it this way might make the inventory sharing a little easier if added.
Find

This idea is pretty interesting, but I think a lot of problems could arise.
Divines first concern is the event of a split in players, which could lead in some bad shit to all of the items in the shared inventory. I think a solution would be to add a tag on every item claiming who's item is who. so if one player leaves, those items are transferred back into his inventory. There's most likely underlining problems for this that I'm not thinking of, but that's a solution I would think to do first.

I think the transfer of coins or any stackables should remain out of the inventory to prevent less duping problems, as for everything else there prob would be extensive testing.

The idea of guild or clans has been around for awhile, and I think it should be official. You create a "guild" and complete events to up your score and try to beat other guilds, maybe get rewards to. Idk what else you could do with a guild, but that's just a baseline.
(12-22-2020, 03:41 AM)Dreadark Wrote:  I'd add a level requirement of like level 50, just for that extra layer of security. I like the idea but I feel like Brass has said he's not keen on the idea before.

At the very least, it would be nice to be able to give items to people even if they're not on, like if there was a mailbox npc of a sort, where you go to them and choose a person to send an item to, and that person can go receive the item whenever they come online.

I think Brass actually has a system for this already.
Find

Id also like to add thinking on it more, i think the idea parade came up with with items being "tagged" would be a good idea and maybe even be untradeable outside the "tagged" players inventory so its a strictly one way exchange and could only go so far from the "guild" bank.

I also think this would be a pretty fun and interesting way to get friends of mine involved in FRG if i could invite them to my guild and they could have items to play with for their starting levels before they build up inventories of their own.

only if this worked as group ironman, otherwise fuck the "shared inv" logic.
"Closest thing I have had to alcohol is chocolate milk... Don't quote me on that!"
"Please somebody use this as a signature to remember this day."-Catbug